Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It is a wall of bricks - photo fresco style


I just keep making these things and now finally I have a place to put them, on a wall. I've made tables out of these brick frames, cemented them in the ground for walking stones and now I've mounted a batch of them onto a wooden frame for an interchangable photo-fresco brick wall. This is sort of like one of those games that has pieces that can be moved around only a lot heavier. This wall is self supporting, although I have not tested it in a heavy wind, and is approximately 8 feet tall and almost 6 feet wide. It has a vertical and two horizontal columns of frames that can slide in and out from the back. I have had the idea for a long time and even applied it earlier to screen painted frames, but it did not seem as awesome as this, which is why I probably kept working to make this thing. I'm not sure where it is going to go, or what I am going to do with it, but for now it is done. Ta da!

I may have to dismantle this wall and take it to Los Angeles. I don't really have a any type of art gallery to show my work, but I do have a store in LA called Y-Que Trading Post. Periodically I take my individual pieces, usually in sets of new work and switch out the pieces in the front window. These new pieces are very heavy as I have made them to also serve as walking stones or table tops. There is not rhyme or reason for the layout or composition of the current wall, but I did try to find some symmetry between the images and I enjoy the vertical strand in the middle. The chicken images and the black bricks both have 4 pieces shown and each piece is somewhat representative of different materials and techniques as I have progressed along while using my old screen printing frames as the wooden base to cast these faux brick patterns in. There is a street fair in the Los Feliz neighborhood this weekend so it may be a good time to get down there and put something interesting in the store. Driving has been a real problem these days due to gas prices, but I don't see any benefit to sitting in may backyard and staring at this wall for months on end, which means, "ROAD TRIP!"

No comments:

Post a Comment