Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Next step next. A pleasant surprise.





I was pleasantly surprised by the results from my haphazard attempts to use a clear medium for the top casting of some frescoes I was working with. The epoxy appears to work better than the polyester resin. Here are two images of a Nick Nolte Mugshot that I first cast as clear, then painted with spray paint and pigment based epoxy. I haven't decided if I want to fill the back with cement yet to let the back side absorb sunlight and heat through the cement, yet. Currently the photographic image part of the design with Nick Nolte is transparent and allows light to pass through.

Once I pulled this from the mold I quickly went to my workshop and set up 13 molds to try and pour a large batch of clear only photo fresco prints, using my set of celebrity mugshot molds. Using a minimal amount of epoxy, to keep the clear layer as thin as possible, I leveled, mixed and quickly poured the batch in less than 2-3 hours. Later I went back and did a second pour which added another 2 hours to the process. My guesstimate is that I can successfully do about 12 pieces in a full 8-hour day, not counting the time to make the original molds. Next I have to decide if I am going to layer cloth behind, but that is a technicality. I have to appreciate the product for what it is and the fact that my experiment worked for what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment