Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Mayan Calendar before the Mayan Calendar

I have been working on my casting techniques using the methods I loosely call "photo fresco" and have been converting my 2-d images into 3-d products. The process has been challenging, but in the back of my head I can't help but imagine the bigger picture problem that we face with the End of the World in December of 2012. As the ancient Mayan Calendar comes to an end the World is set to implode or explode. The face in the middle of the Old Mayan calendar is a Sun God of some sort and I am not an expert on ancient Gods, but this one is one of the best God's Ever and he is totally with the times. The relationship that I am finding with the actual face of the Mayan God inside the calendar and pictures of people online is similar in that everyone is sticking out their tongue these days when they take a photo. If you look at the Mayan God you will quickly realize that this isn't your typical stoic serious type of God, but a mocking laughing type of God who has just told a good joke, like the World is Going to End, ha, ha, ha. Following the good joke he sticks out his tongue. The Mayans didn't have cameras, as far as we know, so this face must've been a symbolic gesture that was significant enough to have it in the center of the calendar. Now, thousands of years later, every 15 year old boy or girl sticks out their tongue when they are having their photo taken. I'll post some photos to compare them, but it seems obvious that this God new what he was talking about. This analysis has been creeping into my psyche as I keep making these heads, like coins, whenever I have left over epoxy from my other pendants that I am making. I have made some magnets and pendants with these pieces and I need to finish them off so that I can get more of them in the store. Also I am applying some sticky back stuff to make them into stickers so that I can pass them out in the store in Los Angeles. Next I have to create a new version for the next Mayan calendar, but maybe it should have the picture of Einstein sticking out his tongue in the middle of the calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment