Monday, March 4, 2013

Snakeskin Urethane - mixed results

The one part snakeskin urethane I have been testing provided mixed results today when I protruded my samples from the hot box. In one instance the thickly poured snakeskin appeared to have bonded with the light gel coat of epoxy I had previously coated in the mold. the back side shrunk in a little and bubbles were evident, making for a non smooth back side finish.

My other test was coating a piece of vinyl sticker paper with the urethane and it appeared to hold on the sticker paper, but did not hold onto the epoxy coated canvas that I pressed on top of the urethane, so as a bonding agent for coarse materials it is questionable. It is possible that if I had added some thickeners then it may have been able to bond better.

I did a test with uncoated canvas to wood with the urethane and it appears to have held. I don't know if it is strong, but it did hold for now. The material is rubbery and light, so I am thinking it will be a good match for the base of my coasters as the base. I should be able to make a light coating and then put epoxy behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment