Friday, August 23, 2013

Collage or Montage? That is the question.

The collage and montage description seem similar to me, but I think what I am doing is more of a montage. I have developed a background piece for working on, which are my used screen printing frames that I recycle and clean the old ink out of then coat with shellac to create a base to paint and print on. In some cases I fill the back with wire and cement to create a strong durable backing and then I remove the screen printing mesh entirely from the front of the frame. In other cases I coat the screen with epoxy or water based urethane mixed with steel pigments, then cause them to rust which creates a brownish metal looking background. Lastly I work through my screen printing designs that I used for t-shirt printing and mix them randomly creating compositions from the various images on each individual frame and this is a finished piece.

I am going to post a batch of photo jpegs of my first production run of 12-15 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment