Saturday, May 22, 2010

Developments - Setbacks - Epoxy and Hollywood Clouds

I am concluding my winter work, but don't have the time/energy to drive it to LA to make a show. I've sort of merged the fresco concept with built in framing and now I have been making blank plaster frames that I can place an image on later. The idea here is that if I am going to place a final coat of epoxy on the image itself then the actual design being placed onto the plaster could be made of anything. This isn't my most attractive concept, but I had been experimenting with epoxy finishes and that was a rational conclusion for that medium. Frankly I don't like the final product and the thick layering of epoxy does just what it does, places a thick glossy layer between the image and the world which removes the viewer from the work. I had considered making the final product strong enough to be able to withstand people walking on the top of the pieces, which is why I played with this idea to begin with. I figured then the pieces would not be able to fall on someones head if they were already on the floor. Also it could mimic the Hollywood Stars in LA by being placed on the ground. However, floor tiles are not a reasonable final product or immediate application for these photo frescos. Wall tiles maybe, floor tiles, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment