Friday, June 29, 2012

It's not easy being green

I've moved on from the Chicken Head as a result of the pressure to make something that can be practically used and sold. The Chicken Head photo fresco is a good piece, but the fact is that it is heavy and although it is durable, it is somewhat fragile. The size is also larger than life in that it is hard to ship and display a 10 lb 16" X 20" frame. Just the fact that if it fell on your head you would most definitely suffer a concussion. Therefore I have scaled down my work, again. I reworked a batch of designs and made a new mold with 2" X 3" pieces with a more detailed relief that is photographic. I was unable to buy the expensive silicon that I needed so I worked with my old school techniques to turn high contrast photoshop files into rectangular reliefs. Then I poured polyester resin with atomized metals to create a few batches of cold casted pieces, 18 at a time.
The piece shown here, Available for Filming, is from a t-shirt design that I sell at my store in Los Angeles and is a good example of the detail that I can get using these photo casting techniques. I poured this item using copper and buffed it up to show off the metallic gel coat. In some cases I dipped the piece in acid to speed up the patina process and although it works pretty well, I can't control how and where the piece turns green so I think I am going to stay with this sort of shiny metallic effect and let nature do the work of weathering over time. Here are a few more image of these rectangular small pieces that can be used as refrigerator magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment