Friday, June 25, 2010

Cold casting with polyester resin and atomized metal

I've been mixing polyester resin and epoxy with atomized bronze, aluminum, brass and steel. It's an interesting process that has me working with various methods of screen printing with these materials as thin laminates. The final effect is a potentially durable print that should go far beyond where I have gotten with the plaster and ink materials I've been playing with so far.

Although I like the effects I am trying to back away from the strong smelling materials that are impossible to clean from the screens once I print a couple of prints. The idea would be to work with similar materials that are easier to clean until I figure out how the final print should be displayed. Bonding has been a problem since the plaster that I like to finish the back with does not bond with the metal filled polyester resin. To solve this I've started pouring Gorilla Glue on to the back of the metal and to create a bonding layer. After the Gorilla Glue dries then I pour a layer of plaster and install a couple of hanging hooks. The end result is a hybrid metal plaster frame that isn't as heavy as the fresco frames I have been making previously.

The colors are not going to be as vibrant, but the potential durability is captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment