Sunday, June 27, 2010

Patience is what I need, but I can't buy that in a store.

Indeed I would, if I could, but I can't and my experiments suffer as a result. I've succeeded now in getting a layer of colors to adhere to the plaster with a combination of pigment and metal powders on a simple layer of paper. The many other materials I have tried have had mediocre success, but I think it is because I have failed at being patient enough to allow them to fully dry. I think that as the mixture of pigment and binder dries it would be sucked into the plaster as the plaster dries. I know this is just conjecture, but when I pour the plaster there are often puddles of water on the top and sides and I have a feeling it is sucking the water through the plaster as it bonds with itself and the water is forced out. Since the Gouache is also holding water as it dries the water would be sucked from it too and that is the bond that would contain the print in the plaster.

My concern is that by waiting too long the gouache will rebind with the paper or substrate that is is printed on. I have never gotten a consistent result, but I feel that a semi-wet separation in the past has benefited the transfer of the image to the plaster, at least when I am dealing with other inks that are migrating into the plaster. Often when I have waited too long like more than an hour, I get the inks only half separating. Sometimes I have done extrememly wet pours on purpose to get a bleeding of the image and by oversaturating the materials I get effects that suck at first, but as they dry the bleeds become accents to the image itself. My goal here is not to get a fluid effect, but to simply transfer a high metal content print into a plaster base that can essentially be a plaster version of cold casting metal.
Why, you ask? Cost and toxicity I answer. I can't afford to work in the world of plastics which require chemicals that are smelly and that without a mask I will get high. The bonding elements of the backing of non-solid pieces creates a range of problems that require a range of solutions that take me away from the work itself. Finally, I am not convinced of the lasting time of plastics. In the back of my head I think that all of a sudden a polymer breakdown is going to happen at the age of 50 or 100 years from now and certain polymers, like acrylics, are going to just dissolve. Heat is another potentially damaging influence and from the way I am making things there would only have to be a separation from the printed surface that may cause the entire collapse of these pieces.

So why go where no artist has gone before. Wait, strike that! Let's assume that there was an advanced civilization long before our time that had reached an extreme level of sophistication, before the bronze age, there was a plastic age, but it dissolved and disappeared and therefore we have no record of it's existence. This explains a lot about things if we simply assume that God was originally manufactured in plastics, but his/her physical presence has been removed because he/she was created in plastic. When civilization rebuilt itself it started this time with clay and worked itself back up to plastics. Plastics are evil and even acrylics may fail in the same way that every other polymer based derivative will. Because of this paranoia I have decided not to take chances and the gypsum based materials like plaster and metal pigments seem like the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment