Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Urethane Resin and a Whole New World

Finding something that works like epoxy or polyester resin, but is quicker and has some flexibility to work with has been an issue, until now. The something may be Urethane Resin for several reasons. In an earlier post I mentioned the way that urethane had bonded to my silicone rubber, or vice versa, but either way it was a mistake, but getting something to bond to silicon but the mistake may have been cloaked solution. Urethane resin appears to have a strong bonding effect and sets really quick, like 1-2 hours. It can be mixed with pigments, or tints, for bright colors and can be poured in silicone molds like epoxy. I have just started a series of test with Smooth-On Urethane resin that I purchased from Douglas and Sturgess in Richmond, CA and am trying it inside a variety of molds, as well as, a sealer to see if it bonds to my screen emulsion and plastisol ink residue that is in my screens. The idea that it would bond directly to silicon may be a bit too far, but epoxy will bond to the Urethane which means I can attached the Epoxy shingles I'm working on to the Urethane coated screens for the dome structures that I am working on. Worst case scenario is that I use the Urethane as a paint on the exposed part of the seams and potentially as a bonding agent between the screen frames that make up the structure. Testing 1, 2, 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment