Friday, March 17, 2017

Push through an ink or solid material like acrylic paints

I typically use a squeegee and old screen printing inks and push them through the back side of the screen to seal the back and create a relief.
Once you have a desired height of material or ink then dry the ink using heat or leaving it somewhere to dry. Acrylic takes a long time to dry when applied this thick. I have used epoxy and polyester resins as well as thin cements, but you have to get the mixture really thick so that it does not run or bleed into the other parts of the graphic. Too much liquid ink will cause drip spots on the design because you are working with the graphic upside down.


I find that I like the dark areas of a graphic recessed and the highlights flat, so typically I make the raised areas the black areas. There are many variations and effects that you can get depending on which way you reverse the image and how you want to make the final molds and pieces. After the mold is dried and cooled I throughly spray the mold and frame with a mold release.

No comments:

Post a Comment