Monday, June 24, 2013

Nothing new here, please move along.



The old becomes the new as the new is the "New Old". Circular rhetoric won't make this concept any better, but it does make light of the idea that making new things look old is sort of my goal. I like this rusty background and although I think the rust also works well as the lighter tones in a piece, it is dark enough in this case to work as a background. This photo fresco of Lindsay Lohan was made 3-4 years ago, at least and I have left it sitting around in my yard weathering. Every time I go to destroy it or throw it away I look at the details and wonder why my other pieces haven't weathered as well as this on has?



This is the newer epoxy sticker concept, without the weathering with a Mayan Calendar design. I think I can repeat this process and end up with a background that weathers like the Lindsay piece, but it works as just a sticker, emblem or patch as I discussed earlier. The detail is sufficient for a photographic effect and because I can make the veneer smooth enough to print on then I should be able to print with epoxy or some other durable ink and keep the rough look of the metal by sanding it first. The big accomplishment that has gotten me back to this point is that I am now able to make the thin epoxy veneers by cold casting and can finish them with a canvas backing (or wood, foam or any other surface) and then apply the imaging afterwards. In the past I have been making these as one piece and as reliefs, which required sanding and finishing afterwards. Now I am going to apply the idea of steel veneers of epoxy as a gesso or background for other works to be applied on top of. Also these will be flexible and thin enough to cut and trip if required and epoxy or other paints should adhere successfully to the surfaces. These can still be made together if I want to print them in layers, but I am now thinking that I would make a bunch of backgrounds and then have them for images when I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment