Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The combination of practical to make and practical to use rules the day.

I have been having some success in making thin epoxy veneers, but in trying to find a final practical use for these pieces I am forced to acknowledge the products that already are on the market that are similar in some way and superior in others. For example epoxy stickers are readily available online, but they are not quite what I am trying to make in that the typical epoxy sticker on the market is a color image that is covered by a clear epoxy dome or clear sticker. In many cases these would be much easier to buy than my epoxy veneer stickers and my epoxy stickers would never be as easy to use or as cheap as what is currently on the market for epoxy stickers. The other item to compare my epoxy stickers to is cut vinyl lettering and emblems that are used on cars and boats and again, these items are readily available and in common use as stickers, but quite possibly would not last as long as an epoxy emblem or sticker. The problem here is deciding on what to finish making for markets that are already flush with items that would create problems with finding a niche for my photo fresco epoxy stickers.

Stickers still seem like the way to go since they can be used on a wide range of products without heat or additional glues. My big question here is whether or not to bond the epoxy veneers to vinyl sticker paper that has superior adhesives or to just put glue on the back of the emblems themselves. I have an old roll of double sided sticker paper and I think I will just apply a fresh layer of epoxy and then press the emblems onto the sticker. Off to try it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment