Monday, June 24, 2013

The bigger picture

Just how big is the bigger picture. I keep making things smaller and analyzing them on a microscopic level to determine what is really in the bigger picture, assuming it is just multiples of the smaller picture. The smaller the objects are that I make the more the objects themselves need to be put into something else to make them bigger. Even little pendant like objects need to be hooked on chains and smaller flat images need to be made into stickers. The bigger picture and idea of materials that could survive weathering deserves a bigger item or piece.

The last item I made was a flexible epoxy patch and it keeps making me think of scales on a fish or reptile. The only salable item I have for this is the patches or stickers that I mentioned previously and as I fondle this item I ponder the variety of ways that I could apply it to make something else. The backing is made of canvas and the top or front is made with epoxy. If I overlap these items the epoxy layers could be bonded together and create an impermeable layer or skin. My latest fancy is to apply these in a scale like pattern over a boat or boat mold to create a hull or waterproof barrier with the shingle-like effect.

I am now thinking of the shape or pattern and trying to devise a purpose or benefit to this type of layering and coating. If epoxy is on the topside and exposed to weathering then it could also be painted and protected further, or another layer of epoxy could be applied on top to bond all of the scales together. However, if they were applied properly, then the scales should provide a strong external layer themselves without an extra coating. Still I need to come up with a pattern for layering and a shape to create for the scales in order to move forward to the next step of design.

No comments:

Post a Comment