Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Success leads to a new set of problems and a new set of solutions - Printing with adhesives

I have now found a way to print on the clear epoxy veneers with an ink jet printer and then adhere these prints to other things like sticker paper. The problems that arise from this are similar to the problems that arise with every printed material when it comes to finishing the prints and cutting them out. Without a die made specifically for an item these prints have to be cut from their background and that leaves a white or black frame around the item, unless I spend long amounts of time meticulously cutting the edges. The other option is to print these ink jet prints on clear epoxy and then print a white background just where the image is. The clear epoxy can then bleed off the edges and blend into the substrate that the sticker would be put on.

My here was to add pigment to the adhesive and print an adhesive in the white or background color. The reason this won't work is that the clear area would need adhesive too. Therefore I need I can print a white background color in a regular ink that can bond to the printed area and the epoxy around it, then apply a clear adhesive to the back. Frankly it may be simpler to just use a vinyl ink and print correctly on sticker paper with the proper ink and then let the stuff dry, then go to another color. All of this work to make an epoxy sticker will help it survive in ways that vinyl may not survive, but I am having trouble with keeping a focus on the final purpose if it is just going to be a sticker in the end. I just washed a glass with a color ink jet image printed and it didn't wash out, nor did it come off, so there is something to be said for that. However I could also do the same to a vinyl sticker it might work for the purpose of the normal life cycle for these types of things. I do like the idea of epoxy veneers that could be fused together and that is something that you can't do with vinyl stickers, but I am not in a position to make something to use that type of procedure, so that may be a waste of time also.

Thinking this through I see a solution to a non-relevant problem. Assuming I use the epoxy as the printed veneer and apply a clear adhesive to the back, then I layer these pieces, like shingles, onto another substrate. The advantage of these veneers is that they could then receive a top coat of epoxy that would connect and seal them together in a way that would be superior to an epoxy coating in that the bonds between the layers is permanent going epoxy to epoxy. Epoxy sheeting, Cold molding, Epoxy laminating? I'm not sure what to call this technique but most other films are not made out of epoxy and therefore are not able to be bonded together. I suppose Sticker Molding would be a good word for this. Vinyl tiles or floor tiles may be the equivalent process, like wall paper, but wall paper that you could blast with a power washer.

Actually I have heard of some fancy wall paper being used and sold for huge amounts of money, like $70 a roll. Whaaaaaat? This could be a practical application of the concept of epoxy veneers with prints, but I would need to research this market a bit more. A flat wall is the perfect substrate for applying stickers onto in a big way.

I did a quick review and found some wall papers that sold for around $2.50 per square feet. These were digitally printed designs on 27" paper that overlapped at 24" intervals. The total length was 27 feet for about $150. I was impressed with the color, but can't really think of working that big or competing with that type of product. Even if an epoxy version of that would be a better product, I don't think it is worth the time to work on something like that except for my own project. This does have me thinking of the types of designs on the side of airplanes and I wonder what type of sticker imaging technique they use for that. This type of picture of a whale or logo on the side of a plane would have to survive all types of abuse at 300 miles an hour or more.

Quick research review indicates that the exterior of planes are painted, not covered with large stickers. Comprende'.

No comments:

Post a Comment