Thursday, February 28, 2013

Carbon fiber and high energy magnets, Shazam!

Where is the magic these days? Not sure, but I do know that when a product is a magnet it is more versatile in it's potential placements, including cars and refrigerators. Also, carbon fiber, is a good stiffener and for making things thin that don't warp it may be the right solution for me. Together these things sound really cool, like the word Hemi or Matrix or Shazam! They may be all I need, but the fact is that I really need this stuff to complete my projects.

I put a magnetic photo fresco piece on a car and when I came out of the sun the tendency of the epoxy to curl in the sun was too much for the magnet and it was laying prostrate on the ground, humiliating me in public. I quickly picked the y-que?.com logo up off the ground and hid it in my car before anyone could see it. I've now gone back to the plastics place and purchased some additional carbon fiber and am trying to decide if two layers of one direction carbon fiber, laid perpendicular to each other, is enough to stiffen the 12" by 18" photo fresco I am working on. It feels stiff in the mold, but once I pop it out it is hard to put another layer on. I could consider this a test and let it fail like the magnet, but I also want this piece to survive and I am not sure if I can add more backing later once it curls, assuming it does.

The magnetic backing that I have been playing with is interesting in that if I can print on the coating or directly on the magnet itself, assuming it bonds successfully, then the magnet serves like a frame and allows a piece to be placed on a car or on a fridge without having to do any fancy framework. I've been working on getting the price of the magnet sheets down and it appears like I can compete with the price of regular stickers in larger volume. Shazam!

No comments:

Post a Comment