Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Less is more

I chopped up some magnets from my patent pending technique of epoxy relief casting and I am still impressed. Delusions abound, but my feeling is that the thinness of my epoxy layer, the strength of the substrate, the easiness of the methods and the potential for complex design elements are not currently represented in other products on the market. I have to admit that if I had a laser cutter, etching equipment, rubber mold making skills or simply a lot of money, then I could create something better. I am sneezing a bunch when I am writing this so I must be stretching the truth. I am not a huge factory, but I can take a photographic image and manipulate it using basic screen printing and casting techniques to transform it into a relief. The relief is only a decorative element of the process, yet without the decorative elements I don't think I am interested in making these pieces.

The less is more concept says that lighter and tighter construction means less mass, but in the end, because there is less mass, then there is less need for stronger construction. A super-light plane does not require a large massive engine and the bigger the engine, then a larger wingspan is required, and so on. To get used to a lighter and tighter structure one would have to be inside it and feel the difference. I can only use sailboats as a comparable structure for how homes could be built with lighter and tighter materials. I love the water and being on a boat in the water is great, but I've also wanted to dig a hole in my backyard and bury a completely manufactured boat so that I could climb down in it and play fort. Would the resins and materials survive, or should the boat be coated with a fungus proof barrier coating before I bury it?

No comments:

Post a Comment