Wednesday, February 27, 2013

There is no fresco like a photo fresco

That's right, a unique combination of printing and casting makes photo fresco a special breed of fresco. Today I patched a little here and I poked a little there, just enough so that I felt like I was moving ahead. I dropped a little carbon fiber behind the first truly epoxy photo fresco print with in order to stiffen it up so that it can be flat, light and straight. I checked my Mayan calendar print and it was astounding, beyond my wildest expectations. I mixed up a batch of bronze filled epoxy and laid a thick coat to the entire ring that I am hoping I can rough up and apply a little acid to it to make it patina. I may just put some silicon on it and make a mold, because that piece looks dope. I also test printed the brass epoxy mixture on some magnet sheets with no success. Finally I did a 3-color transfer print and created Slap Tags, a removable sticker that has a secondary use of being a transfer to clothing if so inclined.

Today was a hodge podge of projects including cleaning out a few screens and seeing if I could get some dried ink out and remove the emulsion. The results of that procedure were better than I thought. My next big job is to pull out some old artwork and create more designs for Slap Tags that can be made for an extremely cheap price, just transfer paper and ink. I can't find this one roll of transfer paper that I purchased, so that I can do larger format prints, but I have a bunch of 12" X 12" cut paper that works well. I also tried an epoxy print made on water slide decal paper and had given up on it working, then when I turned around it slid right off the backing. I put the piece on a magnet sheet, but I don't think the thickness of the epoxy is a good match for the water slide paper which deserves extremely thin mediums. I did get captivated by the wide range of magnet materials and am working on finding the best material for printing directly onto magnets for car emblems and magnet art. I learned that 30 mil is the minimum for applying to cars, less than that will blow off.

No comments:

Post a Comment