Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Never finishing my experiments allows me to keep testing

over and over I go with thinner and lighter ways to use the same materials. I am back to using water slide decal paper with epoxy and enamel and I am pretty happy with the results. I've put a couple of decals on the back of my car and am waiting to see how long they last. I've already lost one, so I am not encouraged by the epoxy decals since they may bend too much to keep a bond long enough for the glue on the back of the decal paper to dry, but I am not giving up. I did a couple of experiments using ink jet paper and color designs until I got one of those to work and I put it on a coffee cup to see how long that will last. Also some plastisol prints show promise, but I am not sure the glue will work with the vinyl based inks; time will tell how long the punk rock lettering will last. My best success came from a thin print with a combination of acrylic and epoxy that I stuck on my window and it held great. I was even able to roll down the window and the decal did not come off and I didn't have to use any glue. It just stuck to the window and held on and is removable like those clingy type decals, but even thinner. The cool thing about the image is that it has two colors and you can see the image on both sides, which is different than most clear decals that I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment